Thursday, October 11, 2007

I'm finally a grown up!

I'm buying a house.  Holy crap!  As I near what is probably the mid point of the working portion of my life, I'm finally getting out of the renting game and buying a house. 

These things occur to me now:

1. I have a mortgage now.

2. It's a freakin' huge ass mortgage. 

3. It's big, I mean big.  It's the biggest debt I've ever had, and that includes my Mastercard.

4. It's going to consume the next 30 years of my life.

5. I have to pay for crap that breaks now.

6. I have a big ass mortgage.

7. Oil spots in the driveway suddenly really piss me off.

8. Big ass mortgage.

You get the idea.  Aside from having children, this is the single most permanent thing I've ever done.  I'm feeling just a little stress now, however I just remind myself of a couple of things and it helps.

1. My landlord is an evil rat bastard.

2. I have to fix everything myself now anyway, because the rat-bastard won't do it.

3. At least some of that huge ass mortgage becomes what's known as equity, which is a fancy way of saying I get to keep a little of it, sort of.  Rent doesn't do that.  It all goes to the rat-bastard's pocket.  Actually it goes to his Mustang payment.  Dammit, I want a Mustang.

4. This place sucks.  The house is big, has a whirlpool, and my own office.  Woohoo!

5. I have beer.

That sortof helps me push the oh-crap-what-have-I-done feeling down to that little grotto just below my stomach where it can fester until something bad happens then come back in a rage and yell "I TOLD YOU SO, BUT DID YOU LISTEN?  NOOOOO! HAD TO GO AND GET YOURSELF BURIED SO FAR IN DEBT THEY'LL NEED A STEAMSHOVEL TO GET YOU OUT."  Or something like that.  This helps too.

No comments:

Post a Comment