Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Geek for sale

My favorite Dilbert of all time!

So my birthday is coming up.  I tell my wife what I really want is a widescreen flat panel monitor for watching movies on the computer.  Context: I have two flat panels already.  She says "Are you crazy?  What are we going to do with the extra monitor?"  Completely serious I reply "Extra monitor?" 

I'm a geek.  I admit that about myself.  I'm not the alpha geek, but I'm pretty up there.  I could tell you just about anything about Star Wars, most things about Star Trek, and a good deal about the Matrix.  I write code all day, then I come home and stay up late doing my favorite hobby, writing code. 

My problem is I get involved with my job.  I care, it's a failing.  The sad truth is most software created today is done under completely inept management who are convinced they know more about software development then the developers they're paying so much for.  Hello, McFly!!  There's a REASON you pay us so much.  We know what we're doing and could do it so much better if you'd just get out of the damn way!  Well, a lot of us do, anyway.  There's a lot of idiot coders out there too.  I've worked with several.  I've spent more than my fair share of time cleaning up the crap code they left behind. 

I'm looking for another job.  If you know anybody that wants to pay somebody a ridiculous amount of money for writing code let me know.

I'm gonna go stream a Dr. Who off Netflix while cranking out some more code I won't get paid for.  How's that for geek?

No comments:

Post a Comment