Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Stupid is the new smart

I'm going to say this once: Evolution is FACT.
Yes, fact.  Darwin's theory was not evolution, it was the theory of natural selection.  It's a theory about how evolution works, not whether or not it happened. 
It happened.  There's overwhelming evidence for it.  It's not a theory, it's not a myth.  It's fact.  Go to a museum.
But a frightening number of people continue to refuse scientific evidence.  We glory in being stupid.  I truly fear for the direction we're heading in when creationism is considered valid science and evolution is considered a myth.  People I work with, people whose intelligence I respect, refuse evolution.  It's the intellectual equivalent of putting your hands over your ears and going "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA".
But look at who we revere these days.  We revere stupidity.  Glenn Beck.  Sarah Palin.  Christine O'Donnell.  
Christine O'Donnell with Bill Maher from 1998
O'DONNELL: You know what, evolution is a myth. And even Darwin himself -
MAHER: Evolution is a myth? Have you ever looked at a monkey?
O'DONNELL: Well then, why they -- why aren't monkeys still evolving into humans?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/25/christine-odonnell-evolution-monkeys_n_739131.html
I really don't understand how we can be this technologically advanced and still hold on to dark ages thinking so strongly. 

1 comment:

  1. Dude, that's not how this works. You read the post, comment in some way shape or form on the content (praise is great, scorn is welcome, you can even just call me a moron if you want), then I check out your blog if you've left a link. If your blog is interesting, then I leave a comment on yours. Possibly with a link back to mine. I'm not playing the linking game. I'm not spamming other peoples blogs with links to mine and I'd rather people didn't do the same to me. I'm sure I could run my hits up if I did, but that's not why I'm here.

    ReplyDelete