Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Dude, where's my blog?

Sometimes you have a day when everything just seems to suck.

Then sometimes you have a day when everything really does suck.

Then sometimes you have a day when, try as you might, you can find no redeeming qualities for said day that justify the fact that you dragged your lazy ass out of bed that morning.

Then, every once in a while, you have a day where everything just seems so phenomenally abysmal that you just want to say "fuck it all" and you go and delete your blog.  You almost immediately regret something like that, but it's too late to take it back.  Many things in life are like that. 

Technically, I could put all the posts back, and I even could restore all of the comments.  That would be a lot of work, but I could do it.   Then another thought occurs to me: I've done this before.  This particular incarnation of my blog has been by far the most successful, and actually led to some relationships I value (not that kind, dumbass).  But every once in a while, it's nice to start over.  That's the opportunity I've given myself in a self-indulgent moment of anger. 

I won't be returning the deleted posts here, but I won't be closing up shop just yet.  The Adventures of the Cowboy aren't over yet, in fact something tells me that everything that's happened up to now is just the prologue. 

I apologize to everybody who actually took time to comment here, just to have some dumbass delete it.  As much as I want to I can't guarantee it won't happen again, but I can tell you it doesn't happen often.  I am a musician and we're an overly emotional bunch prone to bouts of depression.  But if you stick around, maybe things will get interesting again.  Please don't be afraid to comment in the future.  Try to remember that the Internet is a fluid thing, and nothing here is really all that permanent anyway. 

It should also be noted that unlike the current leader of the free world, I can admit when I was wrong.  There.  I said it. Take that, right wing politicians!

Special thanks to my friends (Internet and otherwise, that line is becoming a little blurred) who aren't afraid to call me out on shit.  I get it, even if sometimes it seems like I don't. 

2 comments:

  1. It's totally your right to delete stuff- it is your blog. It will discourage readership to post epic comments, for sure, and I also think you'll regret it later when suddenly you can't look back. But, like I said, it is your blog and you can do with it what you will. This place is first and foremost for you to get what you want out of it. We're all visitors. This is your house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may be my right, but it may not be right, knowwadimean? With a bunch of us linking to each other it forms a ring of (what one hopes is) interesting content. I think about how I might feel if Rory up and deleted his blog one day, and life without the force of nature known as Neopoleon just doesn't seem right, like a crackhead without his crack.

    This blog is an extension of my personality out on to the internet, and a window into the side of the Cowboy that doesn't show up at work (usually). Sometimes we music types get all bent out of shape and decide to withdraw from the world. Most of us just quit posting when that happens. This time I decided to go a little further than that.

    Much like the time I punched out a window as a kid because my sister pissed me off, I regretted doing something that was ultimately more damaging to me than anybody or anything that I might happen to be pissed off at. You would think that the lifelong scar I attained from that experience would serve as a reminder that I shouldn't do things like that, but if I were that smart, I'd be Rory.

    ReplyDelete