Monday, August 11, 2008

Badminton is an Olympic Event?

I've never been a big follower of the Olympics in the past, but this time around I find myself watching it from time to time.  I think somewhere in the back of my head I knew Beach Volleyball was an Olympic event, but it surprised anyway.  I did find it entertaining to watch all the same.  I think I really like Beach Volleyball now.

When I think of the Olympics, there are just certain sporting events I don't tend to think of.  Other events that have surprised me so far:

  • Badminton
  • Table Tennis (as in Ping Pong?)
  • Sailing
  • Shooting
  • Archery
  • Synchronized Swimming
  • Softball

I really don't mean to belittle any of these events, but I have to wonder at what point someone decides they want to be a Badminton Olympic Gold Medalist.

On the other hand, I can tell by watching them that any of them could seriously kick my ass without breaking a sweat.  I just didn't know anybody took the game that seriously.

Boy: And this is my father's Olympic Gold Medal (grins)

Girl: Wow, I didn't know your dad was a medalist too!  My father was a three time Triathlon Gold Medalist.  What was your father's medal for?

Boy: (slight pause)  Badminton.  So, do you like movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment